Anytime is a good time for Rosé. Ripe juicy red fruit with enough citrus zest and minerality to keep the palate cleansed and refreshed, this wine will work with a wide variety of foods and is great on its own as well. This is our 8thRosé wine made from using saignée or bleed juice from our red wine grapes. It feels weighty and juicy on the palate with a bit of creaminess mid-palate and some peppery notes on the end.
Rarely do we get generosity and high quality in the same year. However, the 2022 vintage gifted us with both! A warm dry summer with just enough rain to keep things humming along was followed by a very dry harvest season, with only one significant rain event. The wines have very good acidity, even better than the 2021's. The reds were uniformly healthy and we got to pick them at our leisure, so we could wait for just the right ripeness levels without worrying about weather events. We got our first wines from Live Edge this year and, while we don't expect the same level of complexity we get from the older vines at BAV, we were happy with the quality of the fruit.
564 cases produced.
Rosé is actually one of the most simple wines we make at BAV, but it is also the most fragile. During harvest, when we bring in a load of a red variety (typically Merlot, Syrah, Petit Verdot, or Malbec), we immediately put it in a tank and bleed off around 20% of the juice specifically for rosé. The other 80% is left in the tank with 100% of the skins, making our red wines more complex and concentrated. We take that 20%, put it in a tank, and let it ferment on its own as if it were a white wine, stirring it in the winter and then bottling it in the spring. So where does the fragile part come in? We have to be careful with every step of the process. If not handled carefully, we will lose the pink color, pretty aroma, and robust flavors.